Wilde Feature: Cristie of #QtsyLife

Shop | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Tumblr

Winged Heart - this necklace is so gorgeous!
How long have you been selling online? What got you started?
I have been selling online for four solid years now. My shop was created out of need and love. My daughter and I were displaced due to domestic violence, and I was forced to start my life over again. I am a graphic designer, but the hours I needed to work would not allow me to be there for my daughter. After trying very hard to juggle a 9-5 as well as be a mother and a father, I decided something had to change. It was not working. I started working as a virtual assistant, but my daughter wasn't in school yet and trying to explain to a three year old she needed to be quiet for hours is impossible. I began to evaluate myself. I needed to find something I could do at home, and I wanted it to be something I loved. I love crafting, and I like to make things that put smiles on people's faces. I started very small, selling only to friends, and then my friends convinced me to start a shop. I took their advice, and here I am! Besides finding a way to survive, I wanted to show my daughter that you can do anything in life. No matter what happens you pick yourself up and keep on moving. I also wanted to show her the importance of doing something you love, as well as making sure you have time for the people you love just the same. I'm still working to improve, but I am also very proud of where I am. I use to be embarrassed of my story, of the reasons I started my shop. Now I have realized I have nothing to be ashamed of, and maybe in telling people the reason I began selling my crafts I could help someone else realize they too can follow their dreams.

Tinkerbell Ribbon Sculpture Hair Bow - too cute!

What's your favorite thing to draw/make/create?
My favorite thing to create are ribbon sculptures. To take some pieces of ribbon, give them a body, and make them come to life is absolutely magical to me. Cheesy I know, but I love it!

Love Sweets Hair Bow - sweets for the sweet!


What inspires you in your work? What makes you want to create or keeps you going when you're struggling? 
My daughter is my inspiration, my drive, and my spirit. I throw every ounce of myself into my work because I have these little eyes forever watching me. Even if I say nothing, she is constantly learning from my actions.

Pink Flowers Stretchband

What item in your shop are you most excited about? Why?
The ribbon sculptures are my favorite items!! Although I have a hard time getting them into my shop. I post everything on social media before I put it in my shop to allow my followers to see them first, and they usually go fast. I like the ribbon sculptures the most because it's something I completely design. It's not just a ribbon tied into a cute little bow, to me it's a work of art. It may be small but they take a lot of time and effort. It's probably the most difficult thing I make, so that too could be why I'm so proud of them.









Comments