Wilde Feature: Amy Chichester of Rubix Apparel

Shop | Facebook

I Am Unicorn t-shirt (my personal favorite)


How long have you been selling online? What got you started? 
I'm very new to the online business community - I launched my store Rubix Apparel only 4 weeks ago! I've been planning to do it for a long time, but getting caught up in the day job. Then I decided that 2016 would be the year to stop delaying! I'm only just starting to make some sales, and I know that it won't be easy to make Rubix successful. But it's so so satisfying when somebody loves one of your designs enough to want to buy or wear it that it's worth all the effort, even with only a few sales so far. And I really love the feeling that I'm creating something that will touch the lives of loads of different people around the world - I've already dispatched orders to Australia and Israel!

Hex graphic tshirt


What's your favorite thing to draw/make/create? 
I love clean, modern geometric designs, in bright colours. I especially like patterns that have a hypnotic effect, kind of like an optical illusion - for example, my Hex design. I also love designs that have a clever or unexpected twist to them. For example, emphasizing the upwards arrow on my t-shirt "Up" is meant to make people feel positive. And my Maze design is a real maze, so you've got a ready-made method to entertain yourself should you have time to kill! At the moment I'm doing designs for men's t-shirts, because I find that they're more of a flexible, blank canvas than other items - as a designer you get the opportunity to think about both making things look nice and also making them clever or funny so that they appeal to people's personalities. I hope to expand into cushions at some point - the designs for those will mostly be more visual and less quirky.

Handprint graphic tshirt


What inspires you in your work? What makes you want to create or keeps you going when you're struggling? 
I'm constantly inspired by everything around me - my friends despair of me photographing things I spot in the street that I want to make sure I don't forget! I get really excited by perspective and how 3D objects can be represented so easily in 2D if you understand the angles. And I love that there are literally limitless things out there to design - we're only limited by our own imagination and the time that we can put in! It can be disheartening sometimes when you have an idea that you think will be really cool and then you try to create it and it just doesn't look as good as you expected. But I know even when that happens that I'm learning, and often even the failed attempt at one design will morph into something else cool.

Night Planes tshirt


What item in your shop are you most excited about? Why? 
To be honest I'm pretty excited about all the items in my shop given that they're all so new!!! There are a lot of different styles on the website from eye-catching statement pieces like Hashtag and Handprint through to more subtle designs like This Way Up. It's a tough one but I think probably my favourite design is Night Planes because I love the contrasting colours against the black background.



Comments