The Crafting Life Cycle

For me, crafting goes in cycles. Sometimes I'm inspired to do nothing but sit in front of the computer and illustrate or design. I crank out a half dozen posters or flyer or bumper stickers like it's nothing.

Right now I'm in a hands on phase. I started knitting a scarf for my son this winter (it sounds more exciting than it is - I'm a pretty lazy knitter), I actually started making duct tape wallets again (they'll be back in the shop in a couple weeks), and I'm sketching. Sketching is a habit I let myself get out of, and not only have I been missing it, but the HOW Design Live conference I attended this past weekend reminded me how important it is for maintaining and finding your creative voice. So I'm back to carrying sketchbooks and trying to doodle as much as possible. I think next up is sitting down and finishing some jewelry projects that have been gathering dust of late.

Anybody else on a hands-on kick currently?

Comments