Painting Storage - Shelf Redesign

This is a project that's been a long time coming. I've wanted a nice way to store all my paintings on canvas and canvas board which have previously just been shoved haphazardly into the closet int he guest room. Yeah, I know, LAZY. And it was.

So together my husband and I finally came up with a plan. We would take some of our wire shelves (shown here) and zip tie in board with holes in it. Thanks to Sassy, I know that's peg board. [insert sage nod here] Easy, quick, cheap, and it would allow me to have different sections for different sizes of paintings. Win!

We measured it all out and got the boards cut at Lowes since we don't really have the garage set up and power tools bought for my hubby yet. It's part of the plan. Honest! We already had the shelves set up and ready, so then it was a lot of finger-breaking attachment of zip ties. Those little plastic bastards HURT after awhile.

But y'know what? The pain was worth it. Now my paintings are all stored beautifully in the closet in the craft room - easily visible, accessible, and finally safe from destroying each other as they rest against one another. There's even plenty of room for more once I get around to adding to the collection.

Comments

  1. That's a great idea! And it's called peg board. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pegboard! Ahhh! I should've known that. heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did here... what a great way to repurpose a shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We chose peg board because it was light and pre drilled. We did not want to drill and re-drill as we worked this out. With the zip ties on the wire it allows the shelves to be moved back and forth, but there is enough grip that it does not move on it's own. A few shelves (ends and center) are fixed because we zipped them to the cross piece wire. The top is usable as long as whatever your setting there will not be damages by the zip buckles or damage them itself. We could put something over it.

    When cutting the zip ties make certain to make flat cuts even with the buckle. Zip ties can leave VERY sharp ends if cut at a slant. I have opened by knuckles on them many times doing wiring. Sharp cutters like dykes (side cutters) are necessary for this since scissors let it slip as they cut and cause this. Toenail clippers with a flat end are GREAT for cleaning these up if you need to. I mention this also because they could damage paintings so plan ahead on where they will end up as well as clean them up safely.

    We had 2 4'x8' sheets cut down and had several spare pieces. Total cost of the project was less than $20 if you allow for the fact that we did not buy the shelf since it was sitting in the corner unused.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment